The Broad is an internationally renowned contemporary art museum founded by philanthropists Eli and Edythe Broad on Grand Avenue in downtown Los Angeles. Designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro in collaboration with Gensler, the museum offers free general admission. The Broad is home to the 2,000 works of art in the Broad Collection, which is among the most prominent holdings of postwar and contemporary art worldwide and presents an active program of rotating temporary exhibitions and innovative audience engagement. The 120,000-square-foot building features two floors of gallery space and is the headquarters of The Broad Art Foundation’s worldwide lending library, which has actively loaned collection works to museums around the world since 1984. Since opening in September 2015, The Broad has welcomed more than 4 million visitors, and has one of the youngest, most diverse audiences of any museum in the country.
ABOUT THE POSITION
At The Broad, it is our mission to make our collection accessible to the widest possible audience while we strive to create a welcoming, inclusive environment for all our visitors and staff. The Visitor Experience Team Member plays a key role in facilitating a safe, positive, educational experience for our visitors. As a Visitor Experience Team Member, you will create a visitor-first experience in all areas of the museum. You will greet visitors upon arrival to facilitate check-in, proactively engage visitors in educational discussion about art and The Broad collection, provide tours, and will move throughout the museum to assist guests, providing information to ensure that every visitor has a comfortable, enjoyable museum experience. From keeping the artwork safe to sharing knowledge about the collection and architecture, you will truly be the face of The Broad.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Greet and welcome visitors and groups
- Facilitate check-in process for visitor groups, including issuing, selling, and scanning general admission, special exhibition, and program tickets
- Provide a range of information to visitors, from answering questions about the building to providing in-depth public and private tours of the collection. You will be empowered and encouraged to engage visitors in an educational discussion about art.
- Become an expert in The Broad Collection, the museum building, and its place in the downtown ecosystem; regularly review and research the collection
- Answer questions throughout the museum and assist with wayfinding
- Answer phone, chat, and email inquiries
- Roam throughout the museum to ensure easy and efficient visitor flow
- Enforce safety and security procedures and protocols in public spaces of the museum; help maintain the safety of all artworks on view, and enforce gallery rules of conduct
- Complete required ongoing training, including but not limited to engagement and tour training, collection training, cash handling, safety and security, and equity training
- Work museum events, programs, and special installations
- Thoroughly explain museum guidelines and protocols to all visitors
- Other duties as assigned
- A strong interest in contemporary art and museums
- Minimum two years’ experience in a visitor facing or customer service role
- Experience in hospitality, retail, attractions, or cultural organizations strongly preferred
- Ability to work with visitors of diverse backgrounds, with varying degrees of familiarity with museums and contemporary art
- Ability to work in fast-paced environments
- Ability to work as part of a diverse team to implement a first-class visitor experience for all visitors
- Confident speaking in front of visitors and groups including providing tours throughout the museum
- Effective and persuasive communications skills; ability to communicate clearly and present information to a wide variety of visitors
- Comfortable enforcing museum policies with all visitors
- Comfortable using online ticketing systems and technology; open to learning new technologies
- Ability to identify and positively resolve visitor issues in the moment; strong decision-making skills necessary
- Must be able to work weekends, holidays, and special events as necessary
- Multilingual applicants strongly preferred
- Requires excellent judgment; strong communication, writing and computer skills and effective presentation, negotiation, problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Must maintain a positive working relationship with a large and diverse staff.
- Approach work with integrity and honesty.
- Support and demonstrate the museum’s culture of developing a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible environment for staff, contract staff, vendors, and visitors.
- Demonstrate and practice cultural awareness/sensitivity to all programs and services the museum provides.
- All employees of The Broad are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to certain exemptions as required by law. All newly hired staff must show proof of their COVID-19 vaccination within 45 days of hire. Please contact Human Resources if you have questions regarding the COVID-19 vaccination policy.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background and reference check.
Must be able to remain stationary as well as frequently move around public areas of the museum for extended periods of time.
Work is performed both inside the museum and outdoors. This role requires both remaining stationary as well as frequently moving about the museum galleries to assist visitors through the museum, protect the safety of the artwork, answer questions, and provide a range of information to guests.
The museum is open six days per week, Tuesday-Sunday. Team members must be available 4 days per week (including at least one weekend day) between Tuesday-Sunday in conjunction with the current hours of operation (see below). This position offers part-time employment, that will regularly require working nights and holidays beyond the hours and times listed below.
Monday | Closed
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday | 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Thursday | 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday | 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$18.00 per hour.
Part-time staff can expect to work (20–28 hours each week)
Employees hired into this position may be eligible for medical, vision, paid vacation and holidays, sick leave, and retirement benefits.
Additional benefits include employee discount at The Shop, free parking or annual free LA Metro Pass, discounts at local eateries, and more.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Broad is an equal opportunity employer, and we aspire to reflect the diversity of Los Angeles in both our staff and our visitors. It is the practice of The Broad to offer equal opportunity consistent with applicable federal and state law in all aspects of employment. All employment decisions will be made in compliance with applicable federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sex, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, medical condition (as defined by California law and including Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), actual or perceived), genetic information, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, having filed a discrimination complaint or any other status protected by applicable law. The Broad believes that by actively building a diverse workforce we can innovate, inspire, and engage with the widest possible audience.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria, and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the job.
*Reasonable accommodations will be made for qualified candidates with disabilities in accordance with the ADA and the ADAAA.