Director of Security
CLASSIFICATION, POSITION TYPE:
Downtown Los Angeles
July 20, 2021
- Assists the Director of Security in the operation of the Security Department.
- Ensures visitor and staff safety and security, provide first aid services as necessary
- Supervises contract security officers.
- Assists with providing appropriate training and development of security officers and Visitor Experience Associates.
- Assists with preparation of incident and investigative reports
- Assists with investigating patron and staff complaints.
- Conducts audits of security programs to ensure compliance with applicable policies and statutes.
- Conducts periodic safety inspections of security equipment and security assessments of Museum grounds.
- Continually assesses the effectiveness and condition of security policies, procedures, operations, and equipment.
- Provides relief for the control room operator monitoring security systems and reception area.
- Actively patrols the museum and museum site to ensure the safety of staff, guests, artworks, and the building.
- Uses and manages the organization's CCTV, access control/intrusion detection, and fire/life safety systems.
- Provides input to the Director of Security to improve on procedures and policies.
- Responds to all kinds of security concerns from museum staff while developing and maintaining positive relations with staff and management.
- Carries out the duties assigned by the Director of Security.
This position will assist in supervising security staff and additional contractors as required.
The ideal candidate will be highly energetic, hardworking, organized, collaborative, and able to multi-task and prioritize, and have strong people management skills. They must be able to work efficiently in a fast-paced, no-frills environment. They must have a proven capacity for developing effective working relationships, the ability to direct, supervise, and motivate staff and external service providers, as well as the ability to interact effectively with the public and colleagues at all levels.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Requires excellent judgment, strong communication, writing, and computer skills, and effective presentation, negotiation, problem-solving, and conflict resolution skills.
- Position requires at least three years of active security, military, or law enforcement experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- A high school diploma is required.
- Experience in the field of protection of high-value or cultural property is highly desirable.
- Must be certified in First Aid and CPR by the American Red Cross or be able to acquire this certification within 90 days of hire date.
- Position requires the ability to pass federal, state, and city security clearances.
- Must have proven experience in customer service and knowledge of security and emergency protocols.
- Experience operating CCTV, access control/intrusion detection, and fire/life safety systems is required.
- Must enjoy constant interaction with people and have the ability to communicate effectively and in a positive yet firm manner, even under high-stress situations.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Must maintain a positive working relationship with a large, diverse staff.
- Must be able to read and write fluently in English.
- Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background and reference check, which will include criminal reports as well as verifications of employment and educational records.
- You must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS FOR MUSEUM STAFF
- Approach work with integrity and honesty
- Support and demonstrate the museum’s culture of developing a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible environment for staff and visitors
- Demonstrate and practice sensitivity to all elements of diversity in the museum with staff, visitors, and all programs and services the museum provides
- Must be able to remain stationary as well as frequently move around public areas of the museum for extended periods of time.
- Performance of essential functions requires regular moderate physical mobility and exertion in walking, climbing stairs, and standing at unexpected times, indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Work may require strenuous physical activity related to responding to emergencies or alarms.
- Adhere to all safety measures and guidelines
- Ability to wear a mask during your scheduled work shifts
- Ability to adhere to a health screen in compliance with health and safety guidelines as outlined by LA County Department of Public Health
- Must adhere to COVID-19 policies and procedures
The work for this position involves evening and weekend hours including some holidays. Some positions may require regular night shift work.
Competitive and commensurate with experience. The Broad offers excellent benefits including a variety of health plans and a 401k retirement savings plan with employer match.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Broad is an equal opportunity employer, and we aspire to reflect the diversity of Los Angeles in both our staff and our visitors. It is the practice of The Broad to offer equal opportunity consistent with applicable federal and state law in all aspects of employment. All employment decisions will be made in compliance with applicable federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sex, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, medical condition (as defined by California law and including Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), actual or perceived), genetic information, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, having filed a discrimination complaint or any other status protected by applicable law. The Broad believes that by actively building a diverse workforce we can innovate, inspire, and engage with the widest possible audience.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria, and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the job.
*Reasonable accommodations will be made for qualified candidates with disabilities in accordance with the ADA, the ADAAA and other appliable law.