Reports to: Head Preparator, Lead Preparator
Classification: Variable, hourly
Date Available: Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis
About the Position
As a member of The Broad prep crew, you will join an efficient, vibrant, and professional team of people who bring a wide range of skill and experience to build exhibitions. Our focus is on caring for our collection and our staff, using common sense and communication combined with good tools, techniques, and training. We stay up to date with developments in our field, and share our own innovations with our colleagues.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Read and understand technical drawings and installation instructions
- Prepare exhibition spaces and furniture for artwork, including patching, painting, running cables, cleaning
- Safely handle and install artwork for exhibitions, travel, and storage
- Adhere to The Broad safety procedures
- Other duties as assigned
Experience and Requirements
- At least two years’ experience handling art or artifacts in a museum, high end gallery, or art handling company
- Knowledge of best practices and materials for packing and installing artwork
- Ability to clearly communicate with supervisors and fellow preparators
- Self-motivated, reliable, and detail oriented
- Ability to comfortably lift 60 pounds
- Ability to use tools and equipment for art installation safely and skillfully
- Ability to work at heights over 8 feet
Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background and reference check, which will include criminal reports as well as verifications of employment and educational records. You must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
This position will have a variable schedule. Selected candidates may have periods during which they are not scheduled to work at all, interspersed with periods of heavy workloads and overtime.
Competitive and commensurate with experience.
For consideration, please upload a letter of interest and resume at the link below.
We will only contact candidates chosen for further consideration.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Broad is an equal opportunity employer and we aspire to reflect the diversity of Los Angeles in both our staff and visitors. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. The Broad believes that by actively building a workforce of the brightest people from the widest possible range of backgrounds, we can innovate, inspire and engage with the widest possible audience.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria, and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the job.