The Broad is an internationally renowned contemporary art museum founded by philanthropists Eli and Edythe Broad on Grand Avenue in downtown Los Angeles. Designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro in collaboration with Gensler, the museum offers free general admission. The Broad is home to the 2,000 works of art in the Broad Collection, which is among the most prominent holdings of postwar and contemporary art worldwide and presents an active program of rotating temporary exhibitions and innovative audience engagement. The 120,000-square-foot building features two floors of gallery space and is the headquarters of The Broad Art Foundation’s worldwide lending library, which has actively loaned collection works to museums around the world since 1984. Since opening in September 2015, The Broad has welcomed more than 4 million visitors, and has one of the youngest, most diverse audiences of any museum in the country.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking a creative, experienced, and personable Marketing Manager (MM) to develop and execute The Broad’s innovative traditional and digital marketing campaign strategies. Part of a growing team tasked with promotion of the museum and its programming, the MM will report to the Director of Communications and work closely with the Chief Strategy Officer for Audience and Community Engagement (CSO). The position will support The Broad’s marketing and communications efforts, traditional advertising and paid social media, digital marketing (including management and support of The Broad’s website and ticketing platform), email marketing, data reporting, sponsorships and other marketing, tourism, and community partner initiatives. The MM will also work closely with Social Media Manager/Consultant on organic social media content creation across all platforms of The Broad.
This is a high-profile role at The Broad that requires the ability to successfully manage multiple priorities in an exciting environment, exceptional attention to detail, and a creative approach to establishing a lively and enduring brand identity for the museum as a welcoming, inclusive and premier cultural destination on local, national and global levels.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and execute innovative integrated marketing and communication campaigns that refine and strengthen the museum’s brand identity, drive attendance and revenue, and maximize awareness of and audience for the museum, its exhibitions and its public programs
- Plan and implement digital marketing campaigns including paid social media, display advertising and SEO/SEM
- Collaborate closely with the Social Media Manager/Consultant responsible for creating, curating and posting digital content and assets for organic social media across all platforms of The Broad.
- Work with external advertising and digital agency to manage, execute and monitor digital campaigns, providing strategic guidance to drive results and ensure goals are met or exceeded
- Work with the CSO to develop creative concepts and write copy for marketing and advertising collateral such as The Broad’s general information brochure and other museum print collateral, OOH advertising, print advertising, radio ads, paid social media ads, display advertising, email newsletters, etc.
- Ensure that The Broad’s brand identity and voice are consistent across all channels
- Set and oversee project timelines for the design and production of advertising and marketing materials, coordinating with design agency, ensuring projects remain on track to meet deadlines
- Manage day-to-day communications and operations with internal stakeholders, external agencies and vendors regarding project timelines, files, specs, production issues, etc.
- Manage and update all onsite wayfinding, signage and marketing/collateral
- Provide exceptional attention to detail as the final marketing eye on all marketing and advertising creatives and assets: ensure copy is 100% correct, images are clear, etc.
- Aids in audience research and data collection management and interpretation
- Stay up-to-date on art world and museum industry news, trends and influencers
- Maintain image, video, and digital asset archives, utilizing The Broad’s DAM to tag, organize and manage assets
- Manage photography and videography for the museum, including hiring and supervising photographers, videographers, producers, and editors
- Develop and manage The Broad’s email marketing calendar
- Write, design, test and schedule emails, collaborating with Curatorial, Audience Engagement, Visitor Services, Retail, IT and design agency to develop and produce email newsletters
- Develop and manage various email communications including pre-visit emails and transactional/triggered email campaigns (such as a welcome series, re-engagement campaign, etc.)
- Perform A/B and split tests to better understand The Broad’s audience, improve email marketing KPIs and make actionable recommendations that will optimize email performance
- Manage email marketing KPIs and produce monthly recaps
- Create and manage all exhibition and public program pages on The Broad’s website, including working with Curatorial, Audience Engagement, Visitor Services, Retail, IT and design agency to plan, gather, produce and write all content required for website and ticketing pages
- Set up, release and monitor ticketing pages for all public programs
- Work with IT ad DMC on maintaining, updating, and redesigning the website
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum five years of progressively increasing experience and responsibility in a marketing, advertising, communications and/or social media role
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and an email marketing platform (such as Campaign Monitor or ExactTarget) required
- Demonstrated success in and entrepreneurial attitude toward developing and executing innovative marketing and communications strategies that meet or exceed goals
- Exceptional attention to detail with proven ability to effectively manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment, creatively troubleshoot, work independently and effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, presentation skills and sound judgment
- Willing to work flexible hours as needed to support department/museum priorities, needs and events
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, Art History or relevant field is desirable
- Proficiency in Drupal, Google Marketing Platform (Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager), Ticketing, Salesforce, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop) or Video editing software (Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro) strongly preferred
- Previous experience working in an art museum or cultural organization and/or knowledge of contemporary art strongly preferred
- All employees of The Broad are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to certain exemptions as required by law. All newly hired staff must show proof of their COVID-19 vaccination within 45 days of hire.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS FOR MUSEUM STAFF
- Approach work with integrity and honesty.
- Support and demonstrate the museum’s culture of developing a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible environment for staff, contract staff, vendors, and visitors.
- Demonstrate and practice cultural awareness/sensitivity to all programs and services the museum provides.
Please send cover letter and resume to Emily.Schultz@lhh.com.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background and reference check.
Work is performed both inside the museum and outdoors. This role requires both remaining stationary as well as frequently moving about the museum galleries to assist visitors through the museum, protect the safety of the artwork, answer questions, and provide a range of information to guests.
Full-time, Monday through Friday. Office hours are 9am–6 pm. The Broad is currently in a hybrid mode of working onsite and at home. This position requires some evening and weekend hours for museum events.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary compensation is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including medical, vision, paid vacation and holidays, sick leave, and retirement benefits. Additional benefits include employee discount at The Shop, free parking or annual free LA Metro Pass, discounts at local eateries, and more.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Broad is an equal opportunity employer, and we aspire to reflect the diversity of Los Angeles in both our staff and our visitors. It is the practice of The Broad to offer equal opportunity consistent with applicable federal and state law in all aspects of employment. All employment decisions will be made in compliance with applicable federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sex, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, medical condition (as defined by California law and including Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), actual or perceived), genetic information, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, having filed a discrimination complaint or any other status protected by applicable law. The Broad believes that by actively building a diverse workforce we can innovate, inspire, and engage with the widest possible audience.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria, and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the job.
*Reasonable accommodations will be made for qualified candidates with disabilities in accordance with the ADA and the ADAAA.