The Broad is an internationally renowned contemporary art museum founded by philanthropists Eli and Edythe Broad on Grand Avenue in downtown Los Angeles. Designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro in collaboration with Gensler, the museum offers free general admission. The Broad is home to the 2,000 works of art in the Broad Collection, which is among the most prominent holdings of postwar and contemporary art worldwide and presents an active program of rotating temporary exhibitions and innovative audience engagement. The 120,000-square-foot building features two floors of gallery space and is the headquarters of The Broad Art Foundation’s worldwide lending library, which has actively loaned collection works to museums around the world since 1984. Since opening in September 2015, The Broad has welcomed more than 4 million visitors, and has one of the youngest, most diverse audiences of any museum in the country.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The facilities engineer supports many different departments and events. The facilities engineer is responsible for the operation and maintenance of HVAC equipment to maintain specific temperatures and humidity levels that protect the art, which is critical in the preservation of the collection. Duties include scheduled maintenance and nonscheduled repairs for mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire alarm, lighting, and shade systems.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience.
- Experience with air handlers, boilers, fan coil units, refrigerant air conditioning units, bearing and drive belt maintenance, replacements and adjustments, coil cleaning, air, and water filtration replacement, mechanical repairs, maintaining clean HVAC equipment and mechanical rooms, and environments.
- Electrical experience with 120/208/277/480-volt electrical panels, distribution, and equipment. Changing ballast, and lamps/lights. Megger motors, use of amperage and voltage testing meters, electrical panel breaker replacement, basic electrical wiring practices and standards.
- Plumbing experience with repairing toilet flush valves/faucets, plunging toilets, repair copper, galvanized, black, and cast pipe. Service appliances, sprinklers, water valves, and sump pumps. Inspect water heaters and fixtures. Proficient experience with drain snaking equipment.
- Must be proficient in locksmith, Fire & Life Safety systems, loading dock lifts, repair of appliances and janitorial cleaning equipment, drywall, and carpentry.
- Able to document maintenance activities and inventory of parts and materials used in maintenance and repairs. Able to manage parts and materials inventory and purchasing.
- Experienced in operating forklifts, scissor lifts, boom lifts, pallet jacks, dock levelers, mechanical roll-up doors, floor scrubbing machines, stationary power tools, and equipment.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR MUSEUM STAFF
- Approach work with integrity and honesty.
- Support and demonstrate the museum’s culture of developing a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible environment for staff, contract staff, vendors, and visitors.
- Demonstrate and practice cultural awareness/sensitivity to all programs and services the museum provides.
- All employees of The Broad are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to certain exemptions as required by law. All newly hired staff must show proof of their COVID-19 vaccination within 45 days of hire. Please contact Human Resources if you have questions regarding the COVID-19 vaccination policy.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background and reference check.
Work is performed both inside the museum and outdoors. This role requires both remaining stationery as well as frequently moving about to perform activities, tasks, and physical work in all areas of the museum property.
Wednesday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Thursday 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Saturday 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Sunday 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation is competitive and commenserate with experience.
Employees can expect to work (8 hours a day / 40 hours weekly)
Employees hired into this position are eligible for medical, dental, vision, paid vacation and holidays, sick leave, and retirement benefits.
Additional benefits include employee discounts at The Shop, free parking or annual free LA Metro Pass, discounts at local eateries, and more.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Broad is an equal opportunity employer, and we aspire to reflect the diversity of Los Angeles in both our staff and our visitors. It is the practice of The Broad to offer equal opportunity consistent with applicable federal and state law in all aspects of employment. All employment decisions will be made in compliance with applicable federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sex, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, medical condition (as defined by California law and including Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), actual or perceived), genetic information, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, having filed a discrimination complaint or any other status protected by applicable law. The Broad believes that by actively building a diverse workforce we can innovate, inspire, and engage with the widest possible audience.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria, and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the job.
*Reasonable accommodations will be made for qualified candidates with disabilities in accordance with the ADA and the ADAAA.